Contact an MP
Members of Parliament are your representatives in Parliament. You can contact them at their offices in the parliamentary complex or at their out-of-Parliament or electorate offices. This page tells you how to find contact details for members and Ministers, and how to address people in Parliament when you correspond with them.
To contact a member of Parliament
- Go to the list of current members of Parliament.
- Choose how you want the list to display (for example, display the list by political party, electorate, role, or select committee membership). The display options will help you to decide which member of Parliament you should contact.
- Click on the member’s name to go to a page that includes the member’s contact details.
- The MPs contact list contains contact details at Parliament and also at their out-of-Parliament offices.
Use the maps on the Elections New Zealand website if you need to find out which electorate you live in.
Another way to find out which members of Parliament have an office near where you live is to look in your local telephone directory under ‘members of Parliament’.
To contact a Government Minister
- Go to the list of current members of Parliament. (Ministers are also members of Parliament)
- Display this list by portfolio (area of responsibility) to find the member who is the Minister responsible for your area of concern.
- Click on the Minister’s name to go to a page that includes the address of their ministerial office.
- The New Zealand Government (Beehive) website is another source of contact details for Ministers
The Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet ministerial list has more details about Ministers’ roles and responsibilities. Use this list to help you decide which Minister is best for you to contact.
To send a letter to all members of Parliament
If you want to send a letter to all members of Parliament, send us 120 copies of your letter in one envelope. Include a covering note that asks us to distribute one copy to each member.
Address your envelope:
No postage stamp is needed when you are writing to a member of Parliament. This distribution service is available only for letters. We do not forward emails to members of Parliament or Ministers.
Protocol and forms of address
|Form of address||Salutation||Conversation|
|Speaker:||The Rt Hon David Carter, Speaker of the House of Representatives||Dear Mr Speaker||Mr Speaker|
|Prime Minister:||Rt Hon John Key, Prime Minister||Dear Prime Minister||Prime Minister|
|Ministers:||Hon Joe Bloggs, Minister of …||Dear Minister||Minister|
|Members of Parliament:||Hon Joe Bloggs MP or Mr Joe Bloggs MP||Dear Mr / Ms / Dr Bloggs||Mr / Ms / Dr Bloggs|