The closing date for submissions was Monday, 25 June 2012
The committee will investigate the current frameworks that support Pacific language in early childhood education in New Zealand. In investigating the frameworks which include resourcing, capacity and capability, the committee will consider the role and contribution that the Government, the private sector, and the community and voluntary sector can make in early childhood education to improve the prevalence and quality of Pacific language in New Zealand. In examining this question, the terms of reference are to:
- consider any transitional effects from non-compulsory to compulsory sector education, and the implications of this on academic achievement and links with the Pacific education plan
- consider the overall framework for resourcing Pacific languages in early childhood education including local and international evidence of best practice
- consider the outcomes that are currently achieved based on the present resourcing of Pasifika early childhood services
- consider whether there are enough partnerships and opportunities for Government, the private sector, and the community and voluntary sector to collaborate in the early childhood education sector to improve the prevalence and quality of Pacific languages
- consider whether there are sufficient mechanisms to inform the early childhood education system, using research and feedback on the current uptake and quality of Pacific languages in Pasifika early childhood services
- consider any pathways to address the findings and recommendations of this inquiry.
The committee requires 2 copies of each submission if made in writing. Those wishing to include any information of a private or personal nature in a submission should first discuss this with the clerk of the committee, as submissions are usually released to the public by the committee. Those wishing to appear before the committee to speak to their submissions should state this clearly and provide a daytime telephone contact number. To assist with administration please supply your postcode and an email address if you have one.
Further guidance on making a submission can be found from the Making a Submission to a Parliamentary Select Committee link in the `Related documents´ panel.