Public submissions are now being called for Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
The closing date for submissions is Tuesday, 16 July 2019
The purpose of the Zero Carbon Bill is to establish a framework which New Zealand can use to develop clear, stable climate change policies in accord with the Paris Agreement.
The Paris Agreement is a global effort to combat the effects of climate change by limiting the global average temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
The bill would set greenhouse gas reduction targets into law and require that future governments continue these efforts into the future. It also seeks to:
- Set up the Climate Change Commission, an independent body that will advise and support the government to reach the targets
- Create a requirement that the government sets emission budgets every five years that will act as ‘stepping stones’ towards the ultimate goal of zero greenhouse gases by 2050
- Create a requirement that the government understands the risk of climate change (for example, rising sea levels) and produces plans to address these
This bill would be an amendment to the existing Climate Change Response Act 2002, meaning that all of the key climate-related legislation is covered under one Act.
Submissions are publicly released and published to the Parliament website. Only your name or organisation’s name is required on a submission. Please keep your contact details separate, as if they are included on the submission they will become publicly available when the submission is released.
- If you wish to include information of a private or personal nature in your submission you should discuss this with the clerk of the committee before submitting.
- If you wish to speak to your submission, please state this clearly.
Further guidance on making a submission can be found from the ‘How to make a submission’ link in the ‘Related documents’ panel.
If you have any questions about your submission or the submission process please contact the Committee Staff through the contact details provided on this page.
Having trouble making your submission?
Some users are currently encountering an error when using our online submission form. We are working on a fix for this, and we apologise for any inconvenience.
If you are typing your submission into the online form, it is a good idea to save a copy of what you've written somewhere on your computer. If you do get the error, whatever you've typed into the online form will be lost and you'll need to start over.
If you encounter an error, please try again - you may want to try clearing your browser cookies (or deleting cookies from www.parliament.nz). The following links have instructions for doing this on Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Edge and Firefox.
Alternatively, you may wish to try again using a different device or connection.
If you have followed the steps above and still can't get your submission through, please call the select committee team on 04 817 9520.