Public submissions are now being called for Ahuriri Hapū Claims Settlement Bill
The closing date for submissions is Friday, 22 May 2020
Please note that the Māori Affairs Committee has extended the public submission deadline from 1 May 2020 to 22 May 2020.
This bill relates to a deed of settlement signed by the Crown and Ahuriri Hapū.020
Ahuriri Hapū are based in and around Napier, in the Hawke’s Bay region. Their area of interest is bounded by the sea to the east, the Kaweka Range to the west, the Ngaruroro River to the south, and the Esk River to the north.
The bill proposes to:
- record the acknowledgements and apology given by the Crown to Ahuriri Hapū in a November 2016 deed of settlement
- give effect to the deed in which the Crown and Ahuriri Hapū agreed to a final settlement of all historical Treaty of Waitangi claims.
The historical claims of Ahuriri Hapū are significant and include widespread land loss through early land purchasing. This includes the 1851 Ahuriri purchase that saw the loss of half their rohe (territory).
The Ahuriri Hapū also suffered loss through warfare and the subsequent detention of their men on the Chatham Islands, the Crown’s acquisition of Te Whanganui-ā-Orotu, and the effects of native land laws. Subsequent social and economic developments led to poverty within the iwi.
This bill is available online from the ‘Related links’ panel.
What do you need to know?
- Submissions are publicly released and published to the Parliament website. Only your name or organisation’s name is required on a submission. Please keep your contact details separate, as if they are included on the submission they will become publicly available when the submission is released.
- If you wish to include information of a private or personal nature in your submission you should discuss this with the clerk of the committee before submitting.
- If you wish to speak to your submission, please state this clearly.
Further guidance on making a submission can be found from the ‘How to make a submission’ link in the ‘Related documents’ panel.
If you have any questions about your submission or the submission process please contact the Committee Staff through the contact details provided on this page.