A planning resource for teachers which includes key ideas, focus questions, and conceptual understandings which link to the New Zealand curriculum. Conceptual understandings include:
- There is a relationship between Parliament and our lives.
- We need rules and laws and there is a process to make rules and laws.
- Aotearoa New Zealand is a democracy and individuals and groups have roles, rights and responsibilities to participate in the democratic processes.
- Aotearoa New Zealand’s democratic processes reflect the diversity of our society and promote participation by all groups.
- The Treaty of Waitangi, Te Tiriti O Waitangi, is New Zealand’s Aotearoa New Zealand’s founding document and the treaty of Waitangi, Te Tiriti O Waitangi, principles are reflected in laws today.
- Aotearoa New Zealand has a role in the global community.
- Parliament influences the Aotearoa New Zealand economy and Parliament is influenced by the Aotearoa New Zealand economy.
The resource also includes achievement objectives by levels, useful graphic organisers, a glossary of Parliamentary terms and related websites.