Explore Parliament resource materials focus on the work of Parliament as well as providing teacher support material and links to the New Zealand curriculum. Two sets are available – a primary set (Years 5-8) and a secondary set (Years 9-10). Each set contains ten laminated cards and a teacher’s guide.
Each card contains information relating to an aspect of the work of Parliament including:
- What is Parliament?
- How do we choose who will represent us?
- How does Parliament work?
- How does Parliament make laws?
- How does Parliament give people a voice in law-making?
- What is Parliament’s role in making decisions about money?
- How is Government answerable for decisions it makes?
- How does Parliament recognise the Treaty of Waitangi?
- What are the links between Parliament and local government?
- How can I participate in the work of Parliament?
The teacher’s guide provides curriculum links and focus questions for each card, a glossary of Parliamentary terms and useful websites to further support learning.