28 March 2012
Parliament has been housed in a variety of buildings over more than 150 years since it first met in Auckland in 1854. Following Parliament’s move to Wellington in 1865, parliament’s buildings and grounds have been located on Molesworth Street. The original buildings, greatly extended from the 1870s to the 1890s, were largely burnt down in a fire in 1907. Only the Library building survived. Following the fire the site was extended and redeveloped into its modern form and a new Parliament House was built, 1912-1922. In the 1970s a new Executive Wing (the Beehive) was built. Today the refurbished Parliament House, Library building and the Beehive represent key national heritage buildings set in spacious and attractive grounds.